ERDF Project
 01902 321 272  

Business Regulations

Running a business and the regulations

When you run a business, there are a wide range of regulations that you have to comply with. To help you do this there is support from Government websites such as Business is Great and the Business Companion website.

However help is also available from your local regulators based in the four Black Country Councils

  • Dudley
  • Sandwell
  • Walsall
  • Wolverhampton.

 The purpose of your local Regulatory services which includes environmental health, trading standards and licensing is to protect the public, consumers, businesses and communities. They provide public protection in relation to a range of environmental health issues such as improving air quality, controlling noise and protecting the integrity of the food chain.

They also play an important role supporting local businesses and boosting local economic growth by helping them to understand and comply with controls, and also by tackling rogue businesses that undermine reputable businesses and consumer confidence.

 Some authorities also support the Primary Authority intiative. Primary Authority offers businesses the opportunity to form a legally recognised partnership with one local authority, which then provides robust and reliable advice for other councils to take into account when carrying out inspections or dealing with non-compliance. See the Better Regulations Deliver Offices short, simple explanatory video.

More help

You can also keep up to date with all the latest regulatory developments by reading Trading Standards Business News. Designed to look great on desktops, tablets and smartphones, subscribe today to ensure you always have business advice and support to hand or download our free app for at iTunes, Google Play or Amazon. Or you can follow Trading Standards on Twitter.

Examples of Public Protection Activities

Environmental Health Trading Standards Licensing Fire Service
Food safety Consumer protection - e-crimes, scams, doorstep crime, counterfeiting Alcohol Fire safety law
Infectious disease control Food standards Taxis Petrol licensing
Workplace health and safety Animal health and welfare (infectious animal diseases, food chain animal issues) Gambling Fireworks licensing
Pollution (air and noise) Weights and measures Other (special treatments, street trading, etc.) Fire safety in the home
Animal welfare (dogs, animal licensing controls) Age-restricted sales (tobacco, alcohol, knives, fireworks, etc.)    
Contaminated land Product safety    
Private housing sector      

Advice is available in the following areas;

Environmental Health

  • Food safety – covering the preparation and selling food and drink, including hygiene.
  • Infectious Disease Control – covering tattooing, skin piercing and colouring
  • Food standards - covering the composition, labelling and packing of food
  • Workplace Health and Safety – covering measures to reduce workplace ill health and accidents.
  • Pollution – air / noise – covering the control of chemicals, dust and odours to air and the reduction of noise from commercial and industrial premises
  • Animal health and welfare – covering animal boarding, breeding and pet shopslicensing
  • Contaminated Land – identifying and making safe contaminated land
  • Housing - coveringyour legal obligations regarding the letting of property including Houses in Multiple Occupation

Helpful links

Trading Standards

  • Consumer protection - covering your legal obligation to trade fairly with your customers and the law that protects consumers from unfair trading practices including consumers rights, contracts, pricing and copyrights
  • Weights and measures - covering the law on selling goods by weight or measure – quantity, labelling, equipment and inspections
  • Age-restricted sales - the age restrictions that apply to the sale of certain products and services, including alcohol, tobacco, blades, legal highs and sunbeds
  • Product safety - if you import, produce or distribute goods, including second-hand, the law states they must be safe for the consumer to use

Helpful links


  • Alcohol - covering the issue of Premise and Personal licenses to sell alcohol, providing regulated entertainment and providing late night refreshment. It also covers Temporary Event Notices
  • Taxis - covering the issue of Hackney and Private Hire licenses
  • Gambling - covering the issue of Gaming Permits. Under the Gambling Act 2005 the Gambling Commission is responsible for issuing personal and operator licences
  • Other (special treatments, street trading etc.) - covering such areas as Beauty and Cosmetic registrations, animal licenses and street collections and trading

Helpful links

 Fire Service

  • Fire Safety Law - for staying safe in case of fire when out and about (for business or pleasure)
  • Petrol licensing - for granting ‘storage certificates’ for premises at which petrol is dispensed
  • Fireworks licensing - dealing with applications for registration or for a licence to store explosives (under certain prescribed conditions)

Helpful links

Contacting your local authority

Dudley Council

Environmental Health and Trading Standards

Dudley MBC
People Directorate
4 Ednam Road

Telephone (Health and Safety) 01384 817997
Email (Health and Safety)
Telephone (Environmental Health) 0300 555 2345
Email (Environmental Health)
Email (Food)
Telephone (Licensing) 01384 815489

Sandwell Council (Trading Standards)

Trading Standards and Licesning

Trading Standards and Licesning
Unit 33 Coneygree Trading Estate
Coneygree Road

Telephone 0121 569 6535
Email (licensing)
Social media @sandwellts
Social media

Sandwell Council (Environmental Health)

Environmental Health and Private Sector Housing

Environmental Health and Private Sector Housing
Court House
High Street
West Bromwich
B70 8LU

Telephone 0121 569 6600 / 0121 569 5232
Email (housing)

Walsall Council


Regulatory Services
Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 653030
Environmental health
01922 653030
Trading standards
01922 653040
Community protection
01922 653050
01922 653050

City of Wolverhampton Council


Trading Standards, Environmental Health and Licensing   
Civic Centre
St Peter's Square

Telephone (Trading standards) 03454 040506 

Telephone (Environmental health)

01902 551155

Telephone (Licensing) 01902 551155

West Midlands Fire Service


Fire Service Headquarters
99 Vauxhall Road
B7 4HW

Telephone 0121 380 7500




We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.

EU Cookie Directive Module Information